Red Zone sit-in by pro-Qadri demonstrators ends after successful negotiations

Red Zone sit-in by pro-Qadri demonstrators ends after successful negotiations


Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan on Wednesday evening announced the end of the sit-in at Islamabad’s D-Chowk by pro-Mumtaz Qadri protesters, following successful negotiations between the government and protesters.

Nisar also denied media reports that a deal had been struck, saying the demonstrators left “of their own accord”.

“In the future, no political or religious gatherings and demonstrations will be allowed at D-Chowk. This is a very sensitive area and we can not allow groups of people to hold the government hostage.”

Nisar added that changes will be brought through by passing legislation in the parliament, and it will also benefit the police forces in establishing their writ in a more effective manner.

The interior minister explained that the operation to remove the pro-Qadri demonstrators was not conducted earlier, as reinforcements were needed to shore up the federal capital’s police force. He also said,”We wanted to conduct the law enforcement action during daylight hours.”

The security czar said that the demonstrators involved in destroying or damaging public and private property, attacking government officials and involved in any other criminal acts will be brought to justice.

“From Lahore to Attock, we know who all was involved in breaking the law, and we will prosecute them under law,” said Nisar.

Nisar also thanked ‘notable personalities’ for their role in bringing the stand-off to a peaceful conclusion.

News Courtesy: Dawn

Written by adminmh9

No Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *